Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April 1, 2014......and the joke was on me. I couldn't remember the name of this blog so that I could add the 1st photo of my beginner Warm-Up Temari Ball that I have half finished. I made 2 Temari about 6 or 7 years ago....they were my first and at that time, last. When I find them (previously packed and not found yet for our move to our new home in 2011) I will display them here as well.
The photo does not do justice to the really nice colours I chose for this Temari. I have rejoined a Temari on-line group and just in time I started to read along. The group owner has set up a Temari Challenge.....and I was very happy when she advised the group that she was setting up a beginner warm-up for us to work on first, before we started the challenge.

In order to make this piece I started right from scratch. Previously I used 2 styrofoam balls. I guess one of the reasons I didn't make more was that I just didn't like the feel of that harder surface. This time I searched on line and learned how to make the inner ball using some rice shells and another shell source that a friend had sent me. What a difference. I think I will not use styro again, although as a true, true beginner, it got me through.

This temari has a black background. The 8 sections (known as S8) were made using a thicker, sparkly, deep purple and silver thread. These lines will be my pattern sections.

The first 4 petal star I made using a thinner crochet cotton. I chose a mint green for this layer.
The second 4 petal star used the same size cotton but in a softer variegated pink.

This scan does not do justice to the look, but when I finish my work, I will take photos and present in this blog the best of them all.

:)

No comments: