Sunday, April 20, 2014

My First Quillow started Feb 15, 2014...question is when will it be finished


A Quillow....until a few years ago I hadn't any idea what they were.....but patience paid out. The teacher of my class, back in September, offered this course through my Quilt Guild. I signed up right away. A quillow is a quilt that can be folded and turned into its own pillow.  Yes, when you make the quillow, on the back after the quilting is finished you sew on a matching block which will become the pillow to hold this said quilt.
Our teacher, Wanda, challenged us to bring in what we had completed 2 quilt meetings later. I was very please to hold up my Love of Pansy Quillow and show it along with other students, our quillow in the making.
This is a very special piece of quilting for me as I love pansys. My Grandmother taught me when I was a child that pansy faces are the most beautiful in all the garden. Have you ever studied a pansy's face?  Some are bright and clear, while others seem to have shaded eyes.  If you ever see a pansy garden, take a look, you might be surprised.

The top photo is showing the 2 first blocks we made in class that day. The bottom photo shows the flimsy quilt top up to the borders.  I have the batting and backing all prepared as well, and the binding has been all sewn up, folded and waiting to play its own part, in time.

Years ago before I ever started quilting my Mum saw this pansy material in a quilt shop in a small nearby village. She fell in love with it and decided to take a course making a quilt with it. The teacher stressed the need for 4 yards. So I had a bright though, I'd purchase 2 yards for Mum's birthday that year.....Mum purchased and added to that 2 yards of her own.  Sadly enough, my Dad became ill at the time and Mum was never able to take the course, but the material was washed and packed away. This past June my Mother herself passed away and I inherited a lot of material and other sewing goodies from her.  There it was, the pansy material so nicely folded and waiting for me to use.
 I decided this would be my first quillow goal.  I love the bright cherryness of this soon to be blanket-quilt. Of course I still have to finish it and add the binding. This has been a learning experience for me, but even more, a labour of love as I work on my dream quilt, as Mum was never able to do.
Hopefully when I get it all finished I will post another photo to show you all what a gift of love can do for all involved.

:) Apr 20, 2014

No comments: